Going on a vacation? Part of being able to enjoy it fully is to travel as lightly as possible, without leaving any of your essentials behind. When you pack light, it means having more room for shopping and souvenirs or just to simply being able to go around without lugging too much! Here are some smart packing tips that every traveller should follow to minimize their luggage weight:
- Decant your consumables. If you absolutely must have your favorite lotion, natural sunblock, facial creams, cologne and whatnots, bring a little of each (enough to last you the whole trip) in small travel-sized bottles and tubes.
- Consider purchasing toiletries at your destination. For other essentials that you can easily obtain anywhere (toothpaste, soap, shampoo, feminine napkins, etc.) just buy them once you arrive at your destination. Look for the smallest packets of everything, or if you are getting a bigger bottle then share it with other members of your travelling party.
- Bring knitwear and lightweight clothing. If your destination is not a cold one, bringing knitwear and lightweight clothing will lighten your luggage weight considerably. Plan a vacation capsule wardrobe that utilizes a few articles of clothing to make several mix and match outfits that will last you all throughout your vacation.
- Decide if you have time to launder your clothes. Scout the area for a nearby Laundromat where you can launder and dry some articles of clothing to get another fresh wear out of them the following day. Don’t think of “laundry hour” as time off your vacation; use that to enjoy some hot coffee and take-out delicacy as you and your travel buds map out the rest of your vacation (or use the time to itemize your expenses so far) while your clothes get cleaned.
- Choose souvenir items carefully. Most vacations will have you shopping for souvenirs, but this does not have to place a burden on your luggage. If you are content with a small trinket or two (a refrigerator magnet or a mug, perhaps), then that’s great. If shopping is on the agenda, think about which items you can wear on your person on the flight going back to minimize on luggage weight, as the items you have on are not counted!
- Send out a box. If you must bring home some decidedly good – but heavy – buys, you can pack it in a box and ship it to your home address. Instead of paying extra on luggage, split the cost of shipment with other people in your travelling party and load up the box with everyone’s souvenirs. Ship this out a day or the morning before you head out, so you can be sure that you are already at home by the time the box arrives.
- Distribute the weight. If you still find your luggage overweight by a few pounds, check with other people in your group to see if they can accommodate your additional must-brings. Make sure to treat them out for drinks or lunch when you arrive at your destination as a way of thanking them for generously donating part of their baggage allowance to you!