Every dwelling has its peculiar odour, a so-called house aroma. What to do in case an unpleasant smell has appeared at home? Our pieces of advice will help you to cope with this issue.
How to Get Rid of Unpleasant Odours in Your Apartment
The aroma of cooked dishes, fust and tobacco smell can be the sources of unpleasant odour. Do not forget about pets that also bring in their own smells. Regular cleaning, airing and laundry are the best prophylaxis. However, there are situations when unpleasant odour needs operative treatment.
Eliminate House Odours: Essential Oils and Other Proven Techniques
Eliminate kitchen odours
- Unpleasant odour after cooking will disappear if you boil some water with vinegar in an opened pot on the stew. Air the room after some time passes. Also you can place a citrus skin on a heated burner or drip several drops of Vivasan orange or lemon essential oil
. You can also roast coffee beans as coffee aroma quickly eliminates unpleasant odours.
- Household products will also be useful. Baking soda will help to get rid of garlic, onion or fish smell on your hands. Give your hands a rub with baking soda and wash them with soap.
- In case the smell appeared in your refrigerator, place pieces of whole wheat bread on the shelf. It is able to absorb all foreign smells. Besides, you can put an open pack of baking soda in the fridge.
- Give your breadbin a wipe with a cloth soaked in citric acid. This will help to neutralize the smell of old bread.
Eliminate House Odours
- In order to get rid of furniture reek, place aromatic gauze or flaxen bags in the chests and on the hangers. Fill them will dried skins of orange and lemon. Besides, you can add a cinnamon stick or vanilla pod.
Vivasan essential oils
will help to increase the fragrance of the bags.
- Eliminate room odours with the help of a wonderful Chinese method. Hang 2 teabags on the window, in the doorway and under the chandelier. Air the room during 20 minutes. This method perfectly refreshes air.
- Tobacco smell is perfectly absorbed by a damp towel. You will be able to get rid of the tobacco smoke in your apartment with the help of a lighted candle. Drip a drop of Vivasan essential oil with pine aroma on the candle beforehand.
The Influence of House Odours on a Human’s Condition
Odours explicitly influence the mood and health condition of a human. The majority of our reactions on the surrounding aromas has unconscious character. That is why we are aiming at surrounding ourselves with pleasant odours and avoid bad smells. The aromas of blossoming garden, mowing, sea or forest induce positive emotions and feeling of happiness. Vice versa, bad smells provoke depression, irritation and feeling of apathy. They do not only worsen the mood, but also can involve appetite loss, insomnia, body temperature change and other negative physical cases. That is why elimination of apartment odours is an important task.
What house aroma to choose? The odour should create a pleasant atmosphere inside the house, but has not to be obtrusive. Usually we prefer aromas connected with strong positive emotions from our childhood and youth. Perfumers advise to listen to yourself and recollect what aroma induces the warmest feelings in you. Remember, the aroma has not to be strongly demonstrated, otherwise it can provoke headache. Chose relaxing aromas for your bedroom (for example, lavender and camomile).