When you find yourself in a full-blown “health mode”, chances are one of the buzzwords that help you screen food and supplements to take is antioxidants. Everyone these days is harping about how antioxidants are so good for your body that it is a must to take as much of it as you can regularly. And you know what? They’re right.
Your Free Radical Fighter
Antioxidants are so important to one’s health and well being. When you know the extent of their importance, chances are you will feel compelled to take in as much of it as you can. This is because antioxidants have one – but very important – job to perform as soon as it enters your body: to seek out free radicals and neutralize them to prevent diseases.
You’re probably wondering what ‘free radicals’ are. Basically, these are substances that are naturally (and unfortunately) present in the body; however they end up making their way into our cells to attack our DNA, fats and proteins. Two things happen when this occurs:
- various diseases end up developing in our bodies, and
- the aging process gets accelerated (e.g. You look like a harried forty year old neck deep in stress when you’re really only twenty-eight.)
Antioxidants Around You
The good thing about antioxidants is that it’s not hard to come by, as they are ever-present in a wide variety of food items and natural vitamins. It’s not like you need a hard-to-find or supplement that is solely composed of these antioxidants. Getting more of it in your body is easy once you are made aware of its primary sources, which include:
- Fruits and vegetables: fruits and vegetables in their freshest, ripest and crispest stage are great sources of natural vitamins and antioxidants. Some great options include apples, raspberries, cabbages, eggplants, spinach and the like.
- Teas : Another benefit of your Zen habit of kicking back and enjoying a steaming cup of green or black tea.
- Dark chocolates: Chocoholics, rejoice! There’s more reason to chomp on a square or two (or even three!) of dark chocolate because this sinfully indulgent treat has an antioxidant bonus waiting for you.
Two tips you may want to keep in mind when it comes to antioxidants include:
- Going for variety and color. Get different fruits and vegetables in a variety of colors to up your chances of getting more antioxidants in your body. Color determines the amount of natural vitamins and antioxidants present in a food item.
- Cook smart. Stay away from deep-frying the veggies! They may be full of antioxidants, but you negate the good they do if you pile on the fats and cholesterol with the cooking oil.
So there you have it – all the good that antioxidants can do to your body as well as where you can get a substantial amount of these. If you remember to make healthy foods and health supplements a regular part of your daily routine, you’ll never have to worry about falling short of your antioxidants!